SitAn UNICEF Croatia
The Situation Analysis of children’s rights and wellbeing is a flagship product designed to inform policy dialogue, partnerships and interventions to improve the lives of children. It is an assessment and analysis of the country situation, with respect to children’s rights and critical issues affecting their realization. The Situation Analysis is a crucial part of the child rights monitoring (CRM) framework and represents a key UNICEF programmatic output that helps focus on knowledge gaps related to inequities and child deprivations. The Situation Analysis will inform policy dialogue and child-focused policy advocacy to make an important contribution to accelerating the achievement of child-related goals with equity.
The Situation Analysis has the following objectives:
- Develop a deep understanding of the situation of children and adolescents by analysing the policies and strategies and the social and economic trends affecting them.
- Identify and analyse the barriers and bottlenecks that prevent disadvantaged children and families from benefiting from social services across sectors.
- Provide national government partners with comprehensive equity-sensitive and evidence-based analysis on children and adolescents for result-based decision-making.
- Provide essential information to non-government partners to be used in their planning and interventions to address the most urgent issues affecting children and adolescents in Croatia.
- Contribute to the (re)formulation of key national strategies so that the priorities for the most disadvantaged children and adolescents are integrated into the socio-economic development agenda.
- Identify critical data gaps and contribute to the generation of evidence that can improve the monitoring of rights of children and adolescents, especially for the most vulnerable groups.
The project is divided into three phases:
- Inception phase, which will be concluded with the presentation of an inception report and an inception workshop.
- Preliminary analysis phase, which will consist of two parts:
- Desk research.
- Primary data collection.
The preliminary phase will be concluded with the presentation of a preliminary results report and an in-country-mission to discuss the report.
- Drafting and presentation of the Situation Analysis report phase.
The report will have two versions, a comprehensive one and a summary version. The summary report will be validated with the reference group and key partners. The final summary report will consolidate comments of the validation process.
The Situation Analysis will draw on an extensive desk review, including examination of a wide range of national and regional legislations and regulations, plans, studies, reports and statistics. In addition, the Situation Analysis will consult a diverse range of actors through key informant interviews. The interviewees will contribute with their first-hand knowledge and thus complement the information collected through desk research and secondary data analysis. The following actors will be consulted:
- Central and local government institutions.
- Civil Society and non-profit organizations working with children and/or representing children, with a focus on the most marginalized.
- Experts, researchers, think-tanks and academia working on child-related subjects.